Elephant Plains Game Lodge - Northern Sabi Sands
Situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, adjacent to the Kruger National Park, Elephant Plains Game Lodge offers excellent Big 5 game viewing, luxurious accommodation and sumptuous cuisine. The lodge caters for the discerning traveller, offering a variety of accommodation options, varying from rondavels and luxury suites to the Manyeleti honeymoon suite.
Sabi Sands Reviews
*Luxury accommodation * Three meals per/day * 2 game drives per/day * Daily bush walk * Teas & coffees
|Location||Sabi Sand Game Reserve||Child Policy||All Ages Welcome|
|Malaria area||Yes (Low Risk Area)||Pool||Yes - at the main area only|
|Big 5 game reserve||Yes||Spa||Full Spa|
|Camp Fenced||Yes||Cellphone Signal||Yes|
Elephant Plains Game Lodge – Northern Sabi Sands Game Reserve – Information
With exciting safari options, professional guides, and the great, wild African bush practically at its door, Elephant Plains lodge is an incredible destination for guests hoping to experience the bush in all its wonder.
The five rondavels are set in the beautifully landscaped garden of the original family holiday camp and one can still feel the old bushveld charm upon entering. The rondavels have been renovated and redecorated to pay tribute to Oupa Dries and Ouma Anna Steyn, without whom Elephant Plains Game Lodge would not have existed.
The rondavels have sundecks, en-suite bathrooms, air conditioning, overhead fans, mini bars, tea/coffee facilities, mosquito nets and electronic safes. While elegant and luxurious, the rondavels offer affordable game lodge accommodation.
Decorated in warm, earthy tones, the natural design and architectural flow of the six glass-fronted luxury suites fall softly on the eye. These exclusive, open-plan suites each have a lounge, double bedroom, en-suite bathroom and a private viewing deck that offers spectacular views over the riverbed and open area. All suites feature air conditioning, overhead fans, fireplaces, mosquito nets, electronic safes, as well as mini bars and tea & coffee facilities.
If you are Looking for a romantic honeymoon destination, The Manyeleti honeymoon suite provides honeymooners or guests that are just romantic at heart, with elegance, privacy and a stunning view. This glass fronted suite has all the regular luxuries and also boasts a private splash pool and daybed, ideal for a mid-morning nap.
Bordering the Kruger National Park, with no fences dividing them, the Sabi Sand Game Reserve is world renowned for excellent game viewing. At Elephant Plains Game Lodge you can be sure of game drives and bush walks that will live up to the Africa of your imagination! Not only will you have an excellent chance of close encounters with the Big 5, but you may even be spoiled with the more elusive wild dog and cheetah sightings. As the lodge is situated on a dry riverbed, the surrounding habitat is favourable for leopards, as these creatures enjoy the riverine and denser bush areas.
Keen birdwatchers would also be mesmerized with over 300 bird species to choose from. Over time and due to a carefully planned habituation process, some of the animals have become habituated to the game drive vehicles. This enables our guests to view the animals undisturbed, as they go about their daily routine.
There are two game drives per day, during which your experienced game ranger and local Shangaan tracker would share their extensive knowledge and love of the African bush with you. Each drive lasts about three hours with an intermediate break.
During the morning game drive you will be spoiled with coffee and homemade rusks and in the afternoon your ranger will find a suitable spot where you can enjoy the stunning views, whilst enjoying your sundowner drink. After sundowners your tracker will use the spotlight to find nocturnal animals, before returning to the lodge for dinner. Your ranger will discuss the various game drive regulations before you leave camp.
During game drive you will note that the rangers sometimes drive off of the road and into the bush. This is one of the many game drive aspects that enable us to bring you closer to the action! We do, however, work in accordance to guidelines set out by the Sabi Sand Game Reserve ecologist. We only allow off-roading in certain areas and with special precautions. The rangers do not drive over sensitive areas, will only drive over small trees if they are encroachment species and if necessary, they will do brush packing afterwards to limit the impact on the environment.
The Big Five: The Big 5 is a phrase originally used by hunters to refer to the 5 most difficult and dangerous animals to hunt in Africa. Today this phrase is associated with exiting opportunity to see 5 of the most magnificent animals on the planet. They are the African elephant, the lion, the buffalo, the leopard and the rhinoceros.
The African Health Spa offers a unique range of treatments to pamper you from head to toe. Choose between revitalizing body treatments, relaxing massages, manicures and pedicures or even rejuvenating facials.
We also offer a few fun spa options for the kids! The African Health Spa comprises two treatment rooms, both overlooking the open area in front of the lodge. We have two internationally qualified spa therapists. Come and experience this timeless place of peace and tranquillity. Spoil yourself with a treatment at The African Health Spa!
The Fitness Facility: The Elephant Plains Gym is equipped with a treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, multi gym as well as free weights. Although the Elephant Plains Bush Walks provide some relaxing exercise, those not wanting to leave their fitness regime at home are welcome to use the gym.
Why not spoil yourself and book a treatment at our African Health Spa after your work out?
Mini tuskers: Children of all ages are welcome at Elephant Plains Game Lodge. We have a children’s program which can be adjusted according to the amount of children we have in camp.
Activities include painting, drawing, beading, constructing an ant farm, mini bushwalks and many more. Special children’s menus are available. Babysitting can be arranged.
Star gazing: Join us for a night of star gazing under the African skies of Elephant Plains Game Lodge. What better place for star gazing than in the middle of the bush, far away from the big city lights! The remoteness of this luxury game lodge makes Elephant Plains one of the astro-photography destinations in Africa. Our rangers have completed a star gazing course through Cosmic Safari We use an 8 Inch Orion Intelli Telescope.
View constellations such as The Southern Cross and The Scorpion and find out interesting facts about nebulas and clusters.
Photographic safaris: Elephant Plains Game Lodge is the ideal place to learn the inns and outs of your camera. Let the Tusk Photo team of wildlife photographers help you turn your ordinary wildlife photography into works of art! The game drives at Elephant Plains provide ample opportunity to photograph your favourite animals, from the smallest chameleon to the biggest of the Big 5.
You might even be lucky enough to capture rarer species like cheetahs and wild dogs, or any of the 300 bird species in the area, on camera. The Tusk Photo photographic safaris take place over a four day period. Two professional photographers accompany the morning and afternoon game drive vehicles. After breakfast the photographic workshops will give you the opportunity to further develop your newly acquired skills.
Childminders are available on request, at additional costs.
• BY AIR:
• Eastgate (Hoedspruit), Skukuza and KMIA (Nelspruit) are all in close proximity, with daily scheduled flights from/to Johannesburg.
• Private chartered flights from Johannesburg, as well as any of the other nearby airports, can land on our gravel airstrip, which is well maintained.
• The approach is South to North at the following co-ordinates: S24°44'38.9" E 31°28'30.5". The airstrip is 1200m long.
• Please contact the lodge, should you require us to charter a plane for you.
• BY ROAD:
Elephant Plains Game Lodge is situated in the Northern part of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, adjacent to the Kruger National Park. Please take note that the lodge can only be reached through The Gowrie gate and not through Newington or Shaws gate. Due to river crossings it is also not possible to travel through the reserve. The last +/- 40km is a dirt road. Allow yourself at least 1 1/2 Hours from the end of the tar road to the lodge.
To / From Lydenburg / Hoedspruit:
• Take the N4 from JHB / Pretoria. Bypass Witbank and Middelburg, continue on to Belfast.
• Turn left onto the R540 past Dullstroom to Lydenburg. From Lydenburg take the R36 to Origstad. Pass through the JG Strijdom Tunnel.
• From the tunnel, continue for approx. 27 km before turning right to go towards Klaserie.
• Continue straight along the Klaserie road until you reach a sign pointing to Orpen & The South African Wildlife College.
• Turn left and continue on the R531 for about 30 km until you see the entrance to The South African Wildlife College on your left hand side.
• Immediately after the College you will see a small dirt track on you right hand side, which takes you off of the tar road.
• Drive through the gate and follow the map as indicated.
• Drive past the Orpen & South African Wildlife College turn off and continue straight on until you reach Acornhoek.
• Turn left at the traffic light and follow the map as indicated.
To / From Nelspruit / Hazyview / Bushbuckridge:
• Take the N4 from JHB / Pretoria. Bypass Witbank and Middelburg and carry on through to Nelspruit.
• Take the R40 from Nelspruit to White River and continue for approx. 53 km to Hazyview. Continue for a further 32 km to Bushbuckridge and on for another 42 km to Acornhoek.
• Turn right at the traffic light and follow the map as indicated.
To / From Orpen Gate:
• Leave Orpen Gate and continue on the R531 for about 10km.
• Just before you reach The South African Wildlife College on your right hand side, you will see a dirt track on your left.
• Take the dirt track.
• Drive through the gate and follow the map as indicated.
• Please note: you will need to pay a gate entrance fee of R160 per vehicle and R40 per person. The entrance fee can only be confirmed at the time of making your reservation (Prices are subject to change)
GPS: -24.744444 (latitude) 31.479167 (longitude)
Enquiry Form - Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Reviews
We had some great wildlife photo moments with our experience guide. The food was one of the highlights at Elephant Plains. Great value for money and are already planning our next visit to Elephant Plains game lodge.